Saturday, January 8, 2011

Virginity: Fact or Fiction?

Both my religion and my culture have made it very clear that virginity is something to be prized and protected until a woman is wed.
Now, coming from a society that keeps a good eye on their well-raised children, we don't hear of many scandals in Oman. Out here in Jordan? It's a whole different world.

Some families in the Middle East go to the extent of taking the bride to a gynecologist prior to the wedding to make sure everything is 'sealed shut'.

But nowadays with things like hymen restoration surgeries and black market products to fake maiden's blood, How can anybody be so sure?

Also, a girl could have done everything else imaginable except intercourse, and there would be no evidence. But a girl who explored herself would be accused of fornication and could lose her chances of getting married.


No, I'm not going on about this because I'm sick of the double standard, women being oppressed etc.
I am glad my mother has instilled morals that made me realize my self worth; because of this I value myself too much to 'give myself away' to someone who hasn't made the commitment of proposing and starting a life with me.

Why though? Why is it that society would shun the woman with a self-broken hymen and praise the woman who kept hers intact but had other relations with men?


 And to all the mislead girls out there, I hope you find your way.


Signed,

2 comments:

  1. Well bascially because it is a society where women leave men get the upper hand. Guys take pride in knowing that he actually has a virgin for a wife, something about it makes him all proud and the MAN. If only women of the older generations stood up and said hey there are other ways where you would know that the girl hasn't had sexual relations before and not only the stupid hymen. Then maybe then the society wouldn't have made a big deal out of the whole thing..!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But just because her hymen is intact doesn't mean she is a 'virgin'- so men from our culture are outdated in methods of determining whether a woman is or isn't 'pure'.

    Oh well, maybe the next generations will be a little more realistic with this matter.

    ReplyDelete

 
From Rawnaq, to the world - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords